There is no more certainty in this world which – looking at the big picture – is a good thing. But on the aspect of your life, is not. Leaving the outcomes of your life to chance is like putting a brick round your neck and throwing yourself into an ocean. How to command your life gives you tips you need to command your life.
If you’re an undergraduate or you will soon become one, you must make sure you start taking command of your life now if you haven’t been doing so.
You must ask yourself these vital questions before leaving school;
- What do I want my life to look like in 1-5 years from now?
- What will I be doing?
- Where will I live?
This cannot be stressed enough. There are no jobs out there and even if you get a job, is it all you’ve ever wanted?
If you’re already out there, ask yourself these questions;
- Am I living the life I have always dreamed of?
- Is this what I have always wanted to do
- Am I in total control of my life?
- Have I become what I have always wanted to be?
These are the questions you ought to ask yourself right now; and if you answer NO to any of those questions it is time to stop and take a good long look at your life and start making changes in the areas you need to change.
It Will be Tough
I know it will be tough and some of you reading this post right now already have families dependent on you. But you don’t have to make radical changes; you only need to change one thing at a time.
1. If you’re not in the kind of job you want and you wish to have a better job; what you have to do is study about the other job during your free time so that you can be skilled in that aspect and apply for that job in various companies. You don’t have to quit your current job yet. Although if you have saved up enough money; you can quit and live on your savings till you get the better job you wanted. (My advice on living on saved cash for a better job is that you save at least 6 months salary).
2. If you don’t want to work for anybody and wish to be in business for yourself but you find yourself right now working for “the man”, you can quit now IF you have your 6 months in advance salary saved up so you can spend every waking hour of your time drilling on your craft, reading and practicing till you become a very competent member of your field.
It is Your Right to be Successful
As kings and queens, you are destined to live a life worthy of other peoples envy. As kings and queens you have all the right and privilege even to live the exact kind of life you have always dreamed of.
But it is not enough to dream, we must be actively engaged in what it is we want to do. We must take the reins of your lives and lead it where we want it to go.
For some people this is scary and it’s okay because the scarier it is, the more weight it will carry when you succeed. But from now you have to take command of your life.
If you don’t begin to take charge of your life right this moment and start to live the kind of life you want then you will lose the ultimate security, your life will be a sham and you will be controlled by others.
In the words of Og Mandino, the author of The Greatest Salesman in the World,
“Without choice we can have no direction; without a life strategy that is our own we lose our sense of self (or never find it) and become a cipher, a nothing”.
Standing for Yourself
When you take charge of your life, you begin by first taking a stand for yourself. There are ways listed below that you should consider when trying standing for yourself.
- Check things out for yourself, not others. In other words, don’t report to anybody but yourself.
- Stop apologizing unnecessarily – This makes you look weak
- Don’t ask permission from others to do something. Go ahead and get it done for you. Remember, you are the captain of your own soul.
- Don’t be afraid to say no to people and things. Act on your guts and don’t apologize for it
- Never, ever should you put yourself completely in the hands of another person.
It is time to begin to make your own luck and in these economic times you seriously cannot leave it to chance.
Your Last Moment
Take this last moment you have in school to determine where you want your life to go. If you already have a plan for yourself, follow it religiously and stay with it doggedly until it is completed.
Entrepreneurship is a way to take charge of your life financially because of the times we live in. if you are into business and what not… but you can’t afford not to be in business for yourself because it is a hell-storm out there, you need to commit to taking command of your life, find your path, and pursue it till it is completed.