Have you been looking to start a blog in Nigeria? If so – you’ve come to the right place.
In this post you will be walked through the basics of how to start a blog in Nigeria.
There are many reasons to start a blog in Nigeria apart from the fact that you want to make some money, but the real challenge that faces aspiring bloggers is how to start a blog.
6 Simple Steps
There are a six simple steps you can take to start your own blog;
Pick a niche
You should pick a topic you are interested in to blog about. Not only that, you should find a niche that has a high search volume and also less competitive and so that you can rank higher on the search engines.
Questions you must answer before picking a niche for your blog
- Are you interested in making this a long term project?
- Can you easily write more than 100 contents on your blog?
- From the samples gotten from your keywords, how many keywords have low competition?
- How easy is it for you to find long-tailed keywords for this particular niche you are considering?
- Is there potential to create marketable products in this niche?
- Can carve out a mini-niche where you can stand out in this niche?
If you are able to answer any of these questions well then you are on the right track for your blog.
Pick a blogging platform
Before you start a blog you will need a blogging platform to store all your contents. When I first started blogging, I did not know how to use a blogging platform, I had to do everything manually which was time consuming and didn’t look very professional.
There are many blogging platforms you can use but I only use one platform mostly because it has great tools you can use to make your blog professional.
That platform is wordpress.
WordPress has been one of the most popular blogging platforms out there just above google’s blogspot.com; and for good reasons too –
- WordPress is free to use but you will have to pay a small amount to get a domain name and a hosting server.
- It is simple to set up. Many hosting companies have a one-click wordpress installation on their server.
- WordPress has great developers and tools that can help you spruce up your blog in so many ways.
Get a domain name and hosting with namecheap
The next step of starting your blog in Nigeria you’ll need a domain name (that’s your blog’s address). Here on this site my domain name is www.makuseun.com (I prefer to use my own name so I can create a brand)– Try to find one that is perfect for your blog and niche and that has not yet been taken!
But you can get other domain names. There are good values for getting a domain name that is not your name. Some of them are;
- Branding – how unique is your domain? Your domain should say a lot about you. (Because of my personality I have been tinkering with the domain name crazyentrepreneur.com – I just checked it and notice that it has been taken). Too bad!
- Readability – if your domain is readable, it is an added bonus for your readers. Plus, if it is readable, it can also be easy to remember.
- SEO – if you choose a domain name with good keywords it can help your site rank higher in the search engines.
Design your blog for your readers
First impressions count a lot and that is why you need to think about your blogs design because this helps you stand out from the crowd of bloggers.
This is the hardest part for me if I am to be completely honest here. You can design your blog but it is better to install a theme and tweak it.
When you are starting a blog it is usually hard to pick out a theme that is great for your site and brand but as one of the best bloggers said, “you cannot be perfect with a theme, pick one and move on“.
My advice about that is that you should pick a theme that is easy on your readers eyes.
But don’t stress yourself too much in the beginning – we all start with a design that we later look back on and cringe a little at (If you have been following my blog you will notice that I have tried more than five different themes on this site before finally choosing this one). The main thing is to get set up and evolve from there. Pick a simple, clean design that you can make a bit more individual and continue with your blogging.
Start creating awesome contents
Content is king. Start creating awesome contents that will add value to your readers.
So you have gotten your domain name and hosting, and have also installed your wordpress platform. You have a blog but you cannot call yourself a blogger until you have created some contents for your blog.
There are two types of contents you can create for your blog; They are posts and pages.
Your blog posts are where you will create the normal posts for your blog – it is where you are going to spend most of your time blogging.
Your posts will appear on the front page of your blog once they are published.
Pages are static “posts” that you rarely or never change. They are your “about” pages, your “contact” pages etc. If you look at my menu, you will see that most of them are pages.
Get off your blog and find readers
The final piece of being a blogger. Get readers to your blog by leaving your blog. Sounds paradoxical right? But you will have to find readers to your blog.
There are ways to find readers to your blog and I will list them here but will cover them in other posts on this blog.
- Guest post on other blogs
- Social media free and paid advertising
- Commenting on other blogs (You should know that as of 2017 google have begun to take less interest in links from social media, comments and forums.
- Get your blog submitted on major blog directories.
- Writing free articles
Have you Started your own blog?
If you have used this post to start your own blog in Nigeria I would love to hear from you. Feel free to tell us about your blog in the comment below.