This little article here will show you how to be determined in anything you do. Persistence simply is the quality that allows someone to continue doing something or trying to do something even though it is difficult or opposed by other people. It is an indispensable quality in the attainment of any worthy goal or ideal. Nobody has ever gained anything worth having in this world without the combination of persistence(determination) and grit.
Lack of persistence is one of the major causes of failure. So many people have given up when, if they had stayed with it a little longer, they would have attained that which their destiny deserves. Many lives have been ruined, many destinies destroyed just because they were lacking in the quality of persistence and determination. Lack of persistence is a weakness that is common to many men on this planet.
One famous saying goes like this;
“If you cannot fly, run
you cannot run, walk
If you cannot walk, crawl
But by all means, keep moving.”
That is persistence. When you keep on moving forward no matter what has been thrown at you. No matter what has been used to block your way.
Successful people know this, that to succeed at something worthwhile, you have to keep at it. Thomas Edison tried at least ten thousand times before the light bulb came alive. Henry Ford was persistent before he became the success story we know him to be. We all know about Abraham Lincoln and the application of persistence before he became the president of the United States.
Keep on moving no matter how slowly you move. If it is a worthy ideal and worth getting, you just keep on moving and you will become an inspiration to many people.
Persistence, when you cultivate it and make it become a habit, will make you immune to failure. You know that each “failure” you come across is just another step to your success. Remember that you only need one success to make you a super star.
Many successful people out there will let you know that they have failed way more than they have succeeded. Failure is just a stepping stone to success. Remember that and don’t be distraught after you experience a certain level of failure in your life. It will get better with each passing defeat.
You have to see defeat and failure as temporary. Don’t accept anything to the contrary. You must have seen many people who have tasted defeat and failure and have never been heard of again. And you must have known some people who have risen up above their failures into great success. If anyone does not have persistence in life, that person will not attain any level of significant success in life.
Wherever you hear of great men and women who have acquired great success, you will see, if you look deep enough, the power of persistence in their lives. You will see the hours of pounding on their trade, the lots of rejections they got along the way and the sleepless nights they had before their success came.
Many people hear the success story of people and say that they were lucky. Only these people know that their fortune did not come as a result of luck. They are the only ones that know how they suffered; toiled, worked at menial and degrading jobs just to make sure their dreams come true. And in the end, they prevailed and some person, who could be known as a couch potato, would say that this person got lucky. No, a man makes his own luck.
MJ DeMarco is the author of The Millionaire Fastlane. In his book he tells us a story of his life where after college, he wanted to become financially independent and instead of taking jobs from other big companies like his mates were doing, he decided to feed his dream and take action to becoming financially independent.
He took a bunch of menial, low paying dead end jobs just to survive enough for him to attain his dream. What he didn’t do however was to give up.
Now he is retired, living in a mansion where he hasn’t visited many rooms in months. He drives exotic cars and eats at any five star restaurants he wants.
I recommend the book to you. “The millionaire fastlane” by MJ DeMarco. How to crack the code to wealth.
It pays to be persistent.
HOW TO BE PERSISTENT
Persistence can be cultivated in these following steps
- You must have a SPECIFIC GOAL that you are aiming for because if you don’t know what you want or where you are going, any destination will get you there. So you must be specific as to what you want life to give to you and go and get it with persistence and grit.
- You must TRUST IN YOURSELF. Be self-reliant. Believe in your ability to get the job done. Ralph Waldo Emerson says it best in a little article he wrote on self-reliance. (You should read it).
- You have the KNOWLEDGE of the trade you are going into. If you want to become a salesman and know nothing about making a sale, you are going to crash.
- You must COOPERATE WITH OTHERS so that they too can help you attain your goals.
- You must CONCENTRATE on that thing you want until you get it. Will power will help you keep your concentration on your goal. Do not lift your eyes away from the price. Keep on moving forward.
You may want to take a good look at your life and see in what way you too lack persistence and begin, right now, to take steps to remove the bad habit and replace it with the good habit of persistence.
SYMPTOMS OF LACK OF PERSISTENCE
- Unspecific goals: When you don’t know exactly what it is that you want with your life
- Procrastination: Usually because of fear and unreasonable excuses.
- Laziness in getting the specific skill and know-how in your field of study
- Lack of decision. A man must be able to make decisions and trust in those decisions
- Blaming others for your failure or incompetence
- Wanting to quit after any form of failure or opposition
- Unwillingness to take actions on your goals
- Wishing instead of being willing to act on your ideas
If you find yourself exhibiting any of these symptoms of lack of persistence, take the steps to change them immediately.
Persistence will get you places you have not even begin to dream of going. It pays to be persistent. Never, ever give up on your dreams.
To a great extent, the people with whom you choose to associate influence the direction of your life.